What is happening in the veg garden this month May 2019
- The greens, cabbages, etc. are growing well. Planted out the Pink Chinese Celery and it is doing well. Purple lady bok choy has developed well and I will be transplanting some of it. Hoping to collect seed from some of this spring batch.
- Onions and leeks planted, about 150
- The peppers, tomatoes and eggplant starts are all doing well and the tomatoes and tomatillos particularly are very tall, 2 ½ feet, so I will plant the tomatoes, tomatillos and ground cherries out on Friday and the others in the greenhouse and outside in a couple of weeks.
- I have started squash and cucumbers. I have found they do better starting them from seed in the house.
- The beans will be planted about mid-month.
- More carrots, beets and Kohlrabi will go in again about mid-month. The first sowings are started. Some beets self sowed and I have thinned and transplanted them.
- Zinnia and French marigold seedlings are doing well and some of these will be moved to the flower beds in the front yard and the rest will stay in the veg garden for color.
- Planted fresh parsnip seeds in the new carrot fly free bed which will be covered this year. Do have some large ones left over in the other bed and will save some for seed.
- Still getting some of the beds ready, seem to be planting as I go.
Posted in Linda's Garden Chat