Our speaker for the September 11 meeting is Scott Stevenson. His topic is Garden Water Features – The Basics. This very informative presentation will be of interest whether you already have a water feature, are thinking about installing one, or just want to enjoy some beautiful photos and interesting information.
Scott will describe and show photos of the main types of water features: water gardens, Koi ponds, pondless waterfalls, hardscape features, reflecting and lily ponds, and fountains. He will then cover the basics about equipment, common issues and maintenance.
Scott has extensive experience with water features, first in the Water Garden Department at Cannor Nursery in Victoria, and then for the past 12 years at Van Isle Water. He has given talks at numerous garden centers, gardening clubs, and trades colleges. He has also contributed to Gardens West, Gardenwise and Pond Trade Magazine. With Van Isle he has made several trips to numerous pond and water garden destinations in the US and Europe.
Plans for upcoming Speakers include the following:
Small Fruits: The
Bernie Dinter, Cowichan Valley
Previous guest speakers have included the following:
- June 12, 2019 Dr. Glen Jamieson, Highlights of the Danish/Swedish/German 2018 American Rhododendron Society (ARS) Tours followed by a brief talk on the Sex Lives of Plants
- May 8, 2019 Zac Kregosky, Xeriscape Gardening
- April 10, 2019 Lynda Smith, Succession Planting in the Vegetable Garden
- March 13, 2019 Anna Colangeli, Exploring the Role of Genetic Research in the Garden
- January 9, 2019 Bill Jones. Edible Wild Foods
- November 14, 2018 Jay Rostogi. Invasive Plants.
- October 10, 2018 Jeff de Jong. Getting Ready for Winter Gardening.
- September 12, 2018 Pip Woodcock spoke on Greenhouses, Garden Rooms and Other Gems.
- June 13, 2018 Dr. Glen Jamieson spoke on his three-week Sikkim, India Rhododendron Tour.
- May 9, 2018 Solara Goldwynn. ‘Urban Food Production – Year-Round Abundance at the Nourish Kitchen Garden’ As promised, HERE is the link to Tayler’s YouTube video on creating a wicking bed.
- April 11, 2018 Lynda Dowling. “Patio Passion” Lynda’s “recipes” for fertilizers & luscious lavender treats, as well as her Edible Flower List, can be accessed from our Articles of Interest page.
- March 14, 2018 Sara Wickham. “A Guide to the Ecology, Identification, and Food Preparation of Local Seaweeds”
- February 21, 2018 Dan Jason from Saltspring Seed Co. Growing More Food in Uncertain Times.
- January 10, 2018 Sandra Stevenson presented Northern France: A Well-kept Secret! You can view a summary and some of her images in our Photo Gallery.
- November 8, 2017 Barrie Agar spoke on “Gardening for your site”.
- October 11, 2017 Lorraine Locherty. “Shrubs that Shine in the Winter Garden”
- September 13, 2017 Lynda Smith presented “Lawns to Food”.
- June 14, 2017 Bill Dumont spoke on his tour of the Gardens of New Zealand.
- May 10, 2017 Malcolm Ho-You spoke on Shrub and Tree Peonies.
- April 12, 2017 Diane Pierce spoke on Spring Colour in the Garden. Notes on her talk can be found on our Blog via the Articles of Interest page.
- March 8, 2017 Tracy Ferreira spoke on Integrated Pest Management.
- January 11, 2017 Niki Strutynski spoke on the principles of organic agriculture.
- December 14, 2016 Members Karen Wade, Susan Scott, Wilma Harvie, Jean Addison and Judith Henderson each presented us with interesting gardening information or beautiful images.
- November 9, 2016 Ted Leischner. The Importance of Pollinator Friendly Landscapes
- October 12, 2016 Eryl Morton spoke on Gardens of South AfricaSeptember 14, 2016 Bernie Dinter spoke on Gardening: Its changing focus.
- June 8, 2016 Tony Irwin spoke on Keyhole Gardening.
- May 11, 2016 Mary Sanh spoke on “Succulents – The Ultimate Easy Care Plant”
- April 13, 2016 Gordon Murray spoke on Trilliums.
- March 9, 2016 Linda Gilkeson spoke on “Resilient Food Gardens for a Changing Climate”.
- February 10, 2016 Jeff de Jong spoke on ‘Plants to Love’.
- January 13, 2016 Bill Dumont, organizer and tour leader of the Cowichan Valley Rhododendron Society 2015 tour of gardens of SW England.
- November 11, 2015 Michael Langkammer. His topic was ‘Creative Uses of Natural Materials in Making Christmas Wreaths and Table Decorations’.
- October 14, 2015 Ann Nightingale. Her slide illustrated presentation was “Birds in Your Backyard: Attracting Birds to Your Garden Throughout the Year”.
When Available: Member Powerpoints will be featured when time is available at meetings. Create your own from your digital photos, or contact a member of the Speaker committee to connect you with someone who can help.