In the summer of 2017, after Pip and her husband Derrick sold their log house down by Cowichan Bay, which had a garden that required quite a lot of attention, they took off on travels in Canada, the USA and Europe. She is looking forward to sharing some of the fascinating, quirky and traditional greenhouse and garden delights they found enroute.
She will also tell us a little about the new garden she is creating in Duncan, after about a year and a half without a garden. The new garden is smaller and flatter than she has ever had before. The starting point was construction by her handy husband Derrick of raised beds, which have been providing fresh produce and a home for the many plants from their old garden that had been lingering in pots.
- June 13, 2018 Dr. Glen Jamieson spoke on his three-week Sikkim, India Rhododendron Tour.
- May 9, 2018 Solara Goldwynn. ‘Urban Food Production – Year-Round Abundance at the Nourish Kitchen Garden’ As promised, HERE is the link to Tayler’s YouTube video on creating a wicking bed.
- April 11, 2018 Lynda Dowling. “Patio Passion” Lynda’s “recipes” for fertilizers & luscious lavender treats, as well as her Edible Flower List, can be accessed from our Articles of Interest page.
- March 14, 2018 Sara Wickham. “A Guide to the Ecology, Identification, and Food Preparation of Local Seaweeds”
- February 21, 2018 Dan Jason from Saltspring Seed Co. Growing More Food in Uncertain Times.
- January 10, 2018 Sandra Stevenson presented Northern France: A Well-kept Secret! You can view a summary and some of her images in our Photo Gallery.
- November 8, 2017 Barrie Agar spoke on “Gardening for your site”.
- October 11, 2017 Lorraine Locherty. “Shrubs that Shine in the Winter Garden”
- September 13, 2017 Lynda Smith presented “Lawns to Food.”
- June 14, 2017 Bill Dumont spoke on his tour of the Gardens of New Zealand.
- May 10, 2017 Malcolm Ho-You spoke on Shrub and Tree Peonies.
- April 12, 2017 Diane Pierce spoke on Spring Colour in the Garden. Notes on her talk can be found on our Blog via the Articles of Interest page.
- March 8, 2017 Tracy Ferreira spoke on Integrated Pest Management
- January 11, 2017 Niki Strutynski spoke on the principles of organic agriculture
- December 14, 2016 Members Karen Wade, Susan Scott, Wilma Harvie, Jean Addison and Judith Henderson each presented us with interesting gardening information, or beautiful images.
- November 9, 2016 Ted Leischner. The Importance of Pollinator Friendly Landscapes
- October 12, 2016 Eryl Morton spoke on Gardens of South Africa
- September 14, 2016 Bernie Dinter spoke on Gardening: Its changing focus
- June 8, 2016 Tony Irwin spoke on Keyhole Gardening.
- May 11, 2016 Mary Sanh spoke on “Succulents – The Ultimate Easy Care Plant”.
- April 13, 2016 Gordon Murray spoke on Trilliums.
- March 9, 2016 Linda Gilkeson spoke on “Resilient Food Gardens for a Changing Climate”
- February 10, 2016 Jeff de Jong spoke on ‘Plants to Love’.
- January 13, 2016 Bill Dumont, organizer and tour leader of the Cowichan Valley Rhododendron Society 2015 tour of gardens of SW England.
- November 11, 2015 Michael Langkammer. His topic was ‘Creative Uses of Natural Materials in Making Christmas Wreaths and Table Decorations’.
- October 14, 2015 Ann Nightingale. Her slide illustrated presentation was “Birds in Your Backyard: Attracting Birds to Your Garden Throughout the Year”.
When Available: Member Powerpoints will be featured when time is available at meetings. Create your own from your digital photos, or contact a member of the Speaker committee to connect you with someone who can help.