September Speaker:Our speaker for the September 13, 2017 meeting is Lynda Smith, with her presentation titled “Lawns to Food.” Lynda is the founder and operator of Lawns to Food, a small business in the Comox Valley that not only brings fresh, organic and plentiful food to her family's table, but allows her to educate and coach others. Her motto is “sow, not mow.” As well as being an avid gardener, Lynda is a chef who has appeared on the Food Network’s Chopped Canada. Her presentation will be of interest whether you aspire to a few veggie pots on the patio, have a small lot that you would like to transform to a beautiful food garden, or a large property that you think can be more productive. She will provide us with a wealth of information on such easy growing methods such as lasagna gardening and sheet mulching, as well as tips on easy ways of getting the most from whatever space you have.
PREVIOUS GUEST SPEAKERS INCLUDED THE FOLLOWING:
- June 14, 2017 Bill Dumont spoke on his tour of the Gardens of New Zealand.
- May 10, 2017 Malcolm Ho-You spoke on Shrub and Tree Peonies.
- April 12, 2017 Diane Pierce spoke on Spring Colour in the Garden. Notes on her talk can be found on our Blog via the Articles of Interest page.
- March 8, 2017 Tracy Ferreira spoke on Integrated Pest Management
- January 11, 2017 Niki Strutynski spoke on the principles of organic agriculture
- December 14, 2016 Members Karen Wade, Susan Scott, Wilma Harvie, Jean Addison and Judith Henderson each presented us with interesting gardening information, or beautiful images.
- November 9, 2016 Ted Leischner. The Importance of Pollinator Friendly Landscapes
- October 12, 2016 Eryl Morton spoke on Gardens of South Africa
- September 14, 2016 Bernie Dinter spoke on Gardening: Its changing focus
- June 8, 2016 Tony Irwin spoke on Keyhole Gardening.
- May 11, 2016 Mary Sanh spoke on “Succulents – The Ultimate Easy Care Plant”.
- April 13, 2016 Gordon Murray spoke on Trilliums.
- March 9, 2016 Linda Gilkeson spoke on “Resilient Food Gardens for a Changing Climate”
- February 10, 2016 Jeff de Jong spoke on ‘Plants to Love’.
- January 13, 2016 Bill Dumont, organizer and tour leader of the Cowichan Valley Rhododendron Society 2015 tour of gardens of SW England.
- November 11, 2015 Michael Langkammer. His topic was ‘Creative Uses of Natural Materials in Making Christmas Wreaths and Table Decorations’.
- October 14, 2015 Ann Nightingale. Her slide illustrated presentation was “Birds in Your Backyard: Attracting Birds to Your Garden Throughout the Year”.
When Available: Member Powerpoints will be featured when time is available at meetings. Create your own from your digital photos, or contact a member of the Speaker committee to connect you with someone who can help.